I met Rachel Luna at the 90 Day Year in April. The 90 Day year totally changed my business and being able to meet her and interview her was an amazing experience!
Rachel Luna is a best-selling author of the book Successful People are Full of C.R.A.P (Courage, Resilience, Authenticity and Perseverance). She’s a speaker and chief confidence creator at rachelluna.biz. She helps individuals get clear, confident and take consistent actions so they can do the big things they are born to do.
From this episode you will learn:
- How and Why you need to be more confident in what you’re doing
- 6 areas you need to be more confident in
- How to follow through your actions with confidence
Tell us a little bit about you, Rachel Luna and what you do.
I am the best selling-author of the book Successful People are Full of C.R.A.P. I’m a former marine and I’m the creator of the Confident Entrepreneur Academy. Now, I’m a certified professional life coach and I’m really proud of that because these days everybody’s calling themselves a coach but I like to make sure people know I actually went to school for this. I trained for many, many months. I’ve done 10,000 hours of coaching to date and my real secret sauce is in helping entrepreneurs find more confidence and clarity, which is important, so that they can make more money and an even bigger impact. My core belief is that the fastest way to build your business is to build your confidence.
When you work with people and you really want to build their confidence, what is the first thing you do when you work on that?
The first thing that we do is we have to make some decisions together. As a coach, it’s not my job to be giving advice that’s a consultant; it’s my job to really ask you powerful questions. The first thing I want to do is we’re going to figure out exactly what you want because sometimes we say we want something but upon further research and a little more digging around that’s not what we want at all. It’s what we think we should want, it’s what other people told us we should want. It’s not exactly what we want.
The first thing is making really powerful key decisions and what you want for your life, your business, your family, your relationships and it’s really holistic. It’s like looking at every aspect of making those decisions.
In order for you to really stick to your decisions and feel really, really good about it they have to be value based and value driven and that’s why it’s really important to take a look at everything that’s going on even to challenge your own beliefs.
The 6 key areas an Entrepreneur Needs to Feel Confident:
- Decision making.
- Owning your expertise and really feeling that you are somebody with authority in whatever industry.
- Money mindset: what I have found is that there are so many entrepreneurs who their income potential is limited because they have these money blocks that they have not yet identified. When I have a client who’s struggling with money blocks what I like to do is I have them go through their money story e.g. what’s you first memory about money? What do you think about rich people? What do you think about poor people? On this deep dive, questioning everything that you believed about money so that we can find the block, clear it and you can become a magnetic money master.
- Leadership and systems: If you are not a leader whether you are a solo-preneur or you have a team you need to know how to be a leader in your business.
- Offerings, pricing and position: It’s really about feeling good about what you’re putting out there and not having that guilt that a lot of people take. This is one of the reasons why we also have to talk about money is that some people feel guilty about asking for money from their clients or prospects and what I hear a lot of times is, “I know that they’re really struggling. I know they can’t afford it…” That’s none of your concern. It’s none of your business whether or not they can afford it. Do you have something that can change, transform, support or help improve their lives? If the answer is yes then let them worry about where the money is coming from your job is to position it with passion.
- Following through and making sure that you know how to take confident action and that.
There are 5 steps to following through with confidence:
- 1 st step: It starts with decision making. You have to decide you are going to do, whatever it is you said that you’re going to do.
- 2nd step: Batch. This means that you’re going to schedule some time where you only work on that thing that you trying to follow through it.
- 3rd Step: Plan and schedule for consistency. We can all do something for one minute but can you schedule something for the long haul? Can you really create something and stick with it and you’re going to follow through.
- 4th Step: Honor your commitment. Here’s the thing most of us don’t like to let other people down but we have no problems letting ourselves down and when I am on this crusade is to teach you to honor your commitments to yourself, to make yourself a priority above anybody else. You’re no good to other people if you’re constantly letting yourself down because when you let yourself down you also chip away yourself confidence and this is something people are not recognizing. Every time you break a promise to yourself, you have just programmed your brain to believe that you are not trustworthy to follow through with what you said you were going to do.
- 5th step: Visualizing how you’re going to feel once it’s done.
Here’s a bonus tip. I like to tell people to condition yourself for small wins and what that means is put less on your daily schedule. If you put less on your daily schedule but get it all done you will feel so much better at the end of the day than if you put everything in the schedule that you thought needed to get done and didn’t get half of it done.
Why do you think it’s so easy for women, especially, to say yes to everyone else in their life, they can say yes to doing favours for 10 different people for 2 days but when it comes themselves they can’t say yes?
Because most women, even the most confident women, do not feel worthy and they’re looking for validation and acceptance. Women by nature are nurturing and we need to feel needed. So when people need us it is validation that we are worthy and that we have a purpose.
What do you think is the first step just saying no to other people and yes to themselves?
The thing is when people make decisions they’re not looking at the opportunity cost. Every time you say yes to one thing you have to say no to something else, it’s mandatory otherwise you’re never going to sleep. The first thing is you have to weigh out the opportunity cost. I feel most of us women are such big dreamers and we don’t really realize how much time things are going to take.
We want to be the superhero which is fine but you also have to recognize if you want to be a superhero, if you want to get it all done, you better have some help otherwise you are going to burn out. You have to think about those things and most women are not. The third thing to recognize and remember is that while people may appreciate whatever you’ve done for them at the end of the day they’re only thinking about themselves and what they need.
How do you actually convince women to get paid what their worth?
That’s going back to owning your expertise and doing the work to feel confident in what you know, you know. What we first do is you have to make a list of everything you know to be true of I know, I know this. Then you have to create your own little praise file of any positive comments, anything on social media, anytime someone said you’re amazing even if they never paid you.
When it comes to actually charging your work here’s what I find, some people want to, write off the back say, “I want to charge $500 an hour because that’s what everybody else is charging in my industry.” But they don’t believe that they have $500 an hour worth of experience and no matter what I say, no matter what you say, until they believe that they’re not going to be able to bring that income in. The way that you get them to believe that is by having them take action and helping them help others get results.
What is the number one piece of advice you have for entrepreneurs to get started?
In business it’s never just one thing. There’s never a day where you just have to work on one thing to move your business forward. I think it’s a combination of things but if you are putting a gun to my head right now and you’re making me pick one thing it is to stay in action, no matter what, because every action step you take, will help you decide where you want to go next and you might find that you are taking the wrong action and that’s okay. Once you know what you shouldn’t be doing you won’t do that again, you’ll switch and you’ll do something else. It’s really important is to be the kind of entrepreneur who takes action and when you see that you’re not getting where exactly you want to go. Don’t be afraid to turn around. Don’t be afraid to move to the side. Don’t be afraid to get help from somebody else.Every action step you take, will help you decide where to go next @rachellunaTV #blissfulbitespodcast Click To Tweet
Rachel Luna is the best selling author of the book, Successful People are Full of C.R.A.P. (Courage. Resilience. Authenticity. Perseverance): A Step-by-Step Guide to Getting it Together & Achieving Your Dreams, speaker, + Chief Confidence Creator at RachelLuna.Biz. She helps remarkable individuals just like you get clear, confident and taking consistent action, so you can do that big thing you were born to do. She’s helped thousands of people around the world through her book, weekly emails, speaking tours, workshops and digital courses. Rachel’s been invited to speak all around the globe from Good Morning America’s Tory Johnson Spark & Hustle tour and Princeton University to as far away as Germany and Japan! She’s also been featured in Latina Magazine, Success Magazine and is a Huffington Post contributor.
*Disclosure: Since I saw such huge results from the 90 Day Year, I decided to become an affiliate of Todd’s 90 Day year. I may receive compensation if you decide to purchase the program!